Saturday, June 30, 2012

RACISM, PARANOIA, AND LACK OF COMPASSION ON A 104 DEGREE DAY IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD


THIS IS HOW MY NEIGHBORHOOD RESPONDED TO A YOUNG, AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN WHO NEEDED HELP
I posted this on the Facebook watch page for our area a few hours ago.  The event described below occurred early this afternoon.  Just another day in amerika (as we used to spell it).  By the way it was around 104 degrees at the time.  The majority of those who responded to the facebook post have not been at all happy with my remarks.  One even criticized the woman for not finding a store to go to instead of bothering people in their homes.  The ambulance guys, one black, one white from the fire department were courteous as was the 911 operator with whom I spoke.


"After reading all the precautionary statements, warnings, etc. on this page of people worried about anyone not white, anyone who comes to their door, anyone who looks out of place, and all that rot, I present you this story from our neighborhood and direct from my house."


"A young African American woman just came to my door in bad shape. She was pregnant, had an infection, had been in an ER yesterday with a cyst, had just walked for then 40 blocks in one hundred degree heat. She was chilling, numb in hands and feet crying, etc. I brought her in, gave her some water, called an ambulance and woke up my wife, who is a nurse, from her nap. Karen took care of her until the ambulance arrived. She was a very nice young woman, very polite, and very scared, and very sick. She had knocked at about twenty doors in my wonderful neighborhood and no one bothered to open their doors. No one offered to help until she reached my door."

"Shame on this whole neighborhood!"

"Shame on this whole neighborhood!"

No comments: