Saturday, December 15, 2012

WE GET IT, BUT WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS AS WELL

Why does it seem impossible for so many of my comrades on the left to reflect on the mass murder in Connecticut without reminding us, what we already know, that many others are suffering around the world? I have been involved in movement work of all kinds for 45 years. I've been in the streets, I've been to prison, I've organized here there and everywhere. I write about racism, capitalism, and injustice every single day. Trust me, I get it. However, that doesn't mean I can't grieve and be angered by what happened yesterday as well. In addition to being a Marxist, an activist, and all that, I am a human being. 


I understand what my comrades are trying to say, but come on friends, you aren't telling us anything we don't already know, you aren't the only ones who realize that others are dying and suffering every minute of every day. That said, it is not somehow wrong to focus for a bit on the senseless murder of twenty small children and six adults without further pontification.

No comments: